Preset Quakeworld and Quake 2 Clients

The Quake series is not only amazing in itself, it also was the game the spawned the original Team Fortress mod. Give some mother fuckin' props people.
Paradox
[=PR=] Co-Leader/UT Admin/Forum Mod

Preset Quakeworld and Quake 2 Clients

Post by Paradox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 am

id Software's Quake as we all know is a series that shocked the world of competitive gaming, and its quiver still echoed throughout the industry with the release of Valve's Goldsrc engine and its magnum opus, Half Life. I think it's important that we keep such games that shaped the way the first-person-shooter genre is today preserved, as the modern FPS industry could learn a thing or two from long-gone and so-called "outdated" game design processes, and so can regular players looking to improve. Apparently this is proven to be so far working with such games as Reflex Arena and Quake Champions rekindling the interest of the once waning and dying community of these games to the masses.

Now that I've explained some backstory, as of this post it should come to no surprise that our little recently-started community is probably painfully aware of the above. I don't think I've seen anybody here mention that they play Quakeworld or it's sequel Quake 2, but considering how it's such a chore to config and optimize those to get the most out of them compared to their younger brother Quake 3 Arena, that doesn't exactly a rocket scientist to figure out why. But hey, it turns out because we live in t3H F3wTU0rZ it looks like there's a setup wizard for both of those rolling around each called nQuake and nQuake 2. You guys will probably like it if you don't have the time to set those games up manually or want to get back into them. Trailer for nQuake and download links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjV1J0V4wyA
http://nquake.com/
http://nquake2.com/

HAPPY FRIGGIN' FRAGGING!
Last edited by Paradox on Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Hardly Trying

renegade
[=PR=] Leader/HL2:DM Admin/UT Admin/Site Admin
Loading…

Re: Preset Quakeworld and Quake 2 Clients

Post by renegade » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:14 am

That is all awesome, thanks for posting this. I will be giving it a try for sure. is QWTF included? I think that would be where most of my interest sits as far as the older versions of quake go. I will absolutely give them a try either way though.
[=PR=]renegade

ImageImage

Paradox

Post by Paradox » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:20 am

QWTF is included alongside Clan Arena, but I'm not sure which versions. I know more about HL and Doom modding than Quake to be completely honest, but if you search deep enough you could probably find earlier versions of both of those (such as QWTF 2.4 which introduced the "concussion grenade glitch" that inspired conc-jumping in TFC). Also as a heads up, nQuake 1 comes with QW but nQuake 2 requires you to locate a file in Quake 2's Steam folder as it expects that you have the full game, so be aware of that.
ImageImageImage
Hardly Trying

renegade
Loading…

Post by renegade » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Very cool, certainly going to give this a try! Thanks!!
[=PR=]renegade

ImageImage

renegade
Loading…

Post by renegade » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:31 am

wow the air strafing in this is insane, absolutely full control and crazy fast bunnyhopping. A couple of people even joined up for some ctf. my only question is are there nades in the original qwtf or is that something that came about in the quake 2 tf mod? I was thinking maybe i just couldn't find the button but I did not notice any flyin around from the other guys.
[=PR=]renegade

ImageImage

Paradox

Post by Paradox » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:09 am

Yes, there are grenades and as far as I know there isn't a TF mod for Quake 2. QWTF does has special commands for the mod though. I think the commands to throw grenades are the same in TFC, bind "<KEY>" "+gren1"/"+gren2". I may be wrong though, if you do some Googling for some old guides from the Quaddicted archives, you might be able to find a full list of commands and binds. As an added bonus, Here's some sample gameplay when leagues were still a thing for QWTF in 2007.
Last edited by Paradox on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Hardly Trying

renegade
Loading…

Post by renegade » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Ah yeah that makes sense I guess it's more of a console bind type thing than a set in options kinda deal. Thanks I will give it a try.

Cool gameplay video, looks to me that they had a no bunny hopping rule in leagues at that point in time because as far as I know there is no speed cap (or it's a really high cap) in qwtf. TFC had a no bhop rule in leagues too for a while before the update came out that capped bhop and stuff.
[=PR=]renegade

ImageImage